Thursday, February 28, 2008

Patience

I've never really been a patient person.

Just ask my sons Brandon and Zach about my parenting style, they'll tell you! Ha! I'm significantly more patient now than I was 25, it's true, but I still have a long way to go.

Why all this talk about patience, you ask? Well, ten minutes ago I came really close to throwing my laptop on the floor and stomping the screen. No, not figuratively, literally.

You see, my laptop is pretty old, and has one of those wireless cards you stick in the side of it. Normally it works well, but every so often it has spells where it just doesn't want to work. It will connect to the internet for say, five minutes, and then disconnect, and not let you reconnect. Very annoying if you are wanting to do something NOW, like make a blog post. This is exactly what happened to me ten minutes ago.

I finally had to reboot the computer in order for it to recognize the wireless card again. Problem is, this computer takes about ten minutes to start up, load the bloated "Norton Antivirus", and get to the point where the hourglass goes away and you can actually do something. When it finally came up, I knew exactly what I was going to blog about -- what a (*#&$@ hunk of junk this laptop is! Sure, I realized I should probably not blog to vent my frustrations, but I had reached my limit. I was gonna tell everyone just what was what, how unjust it was that I should have such a crummy PC, etc.

Just before going to blogger.com to start my rant, I decided to read Part 2 of Brandon's latest post about his Mac laptop. Which I did.

And something happened.

Brandon's post is really a God thing. You see, Brandon recently went through a big ordeal with his Mac laptop, and was real close to writing a blog post blasting the seller for all the hassle he had to go through. But after some thought (and prayer no doubt), Brandon did the adult thing, the mature thing, the Christlike thing. He showed restraint, and instead wrote about the situation in a way that did not tear anyone down. Did not name names. Did not trash a reputation, though it might actually deserve it.

After reading Brandon's post and letting it sink in, the urge to write a whiny blog post about how slow my laptop is just sorta left me, if you know what I'm saying. In fact, I am thankful for this laptop, because 95% of the time it works really well, and has been a blessing. Plus, I hate hearing other people whine about insignificant stuff, when so many people are fighting cancer, starving, homeless, etc. So shame on me!

It's cool to know that all those lectures and speeches I gave Brandon must have sank in. It's even cooler to be able to learn learn lessons about proper behavior from your children.

Can I come out of my room now?

No comments: