Friday, November 9, 2007

Classic


I've had my 40GB third-generation iPod for about three years now, and it has seen some serious use. I'm talking, many hours a day, many days per year use. So lately, the battery has been wearing down, to the point where I only get about 45 minutes or an hour of play before the thing goes dead.

So, I says to myself, it's time for a new iPod!

After all, it has been a few years, and much has changed in the iPod world since then. There's the new iPod Touch, which is basically a iPhone with no phone capability (!?!). But alas, it only holds 16GB max, and I have about 25 GB of music. The iPod Nanos are also flash-memory based and only go up to 8 or 16 GB.

But, there is a new hard-drive iPod in town, the new iPod Classic. The classic comes in 80 GB and 160 GB models (!!!). I don't need that much room, but I need more than 16 GB, so the Classic was my only option. The Classic is basically the same as the iPod Video (5th generation), but has an slimmer all-aluminum case. Also, the software has the flashy (but not super useful) "Cover Flow" mode, where you can scroll through all your album covers.

Anyhow, I broke down and bought a silver 80GB iPod classic, and I'm loving it. In fact, I'm blasting some tunes on it as I write this! The battery life is rated at 30 hours, but if I get a consistent 10+ for a couple years, I'll be delighted.

Who would have thought that I could take my entire (huge) CD collection with me wherever I go, and it would fit in my shirt pocket? Ain't technology great? God is good.

No comments: