Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Rivendell


There's a scene in the movie "Lord of the Rings" where Frodo Baggins travels to the elven outpost called Rivendell. In the movie, Rivendell is portrayed as an unbelievably beautiful city, carved of stone in the the sides of a steep and majestic valley. Frodo's arrival coincides with the autumn, and Rivendell's trees are alive with color: rich brown, fiery orange, bright yellow, and royal burgundy...

Well, this week Simpsonville has the appearance of Rivendell!

I must be getting older, because every year I am taking more and more notice of the beauty that God has surrounded us with. As a kid and young adult, I never took much notice of the fall colors. I mean, sure they were there, but what's the big deal, right?

Every day this week, as I drove home from work, I was amazed at the absolute beauty of the fall colors. It occurred to me that in many areas of life, God has provided incredible surroundings in our lives, and we often are blind to them. Like the fall colors that I am finally beginning to see, what other things in my life have been there all along, yet I have failed to see them and thank God for them?

As Thanksgiving approaches, I'm praying that God will open my eyes to ALL the blessings I'm missing in my life, so that I can give Him back the thanks he wants and deserves!

No comments: