Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tree













I saw something sad today.

One of the things Cathy and I like best about our old house is its location. Our house sits directly across the street from a wonderful park, namely Simpsonville City Park. When we sit on our front porch, we have a great view of the entire park. But my favorite part of the view is an incredible decades-old oak tree, which sits front-and-center across from our house.

Ever seen the movie "Shawshank Redemption"? You know the huge old tree under which Morgan Freeman finds the hidden package? Well, the tree across from our house looks like that one.

At least, it did until this morning.

Today, a tree crew performed a "pruning" on this incredible old tree. To me, it was more of a hack job, a butchery, a defacing of public property. They took something beautiful that took years to develop its shape and size, and reduced it to a mockery of its former self, all in just a few short hours.

Now, I don't mean to get overly dramatic about a tree. Perhaps I have exaggerated a bit. But I suppose its just one more reminder of how rapidly things change. Since we moved to our house about three years ago, I've witnessed the destruction of five historic houses within a quarter mile (the Cannon house, where part of the disc golf course has now moved, and a whole street of pre-1910 houses across from First Baptist). Now it seems the old trees are next in line for destruction.

I realize change is inevitable, but it carries a certain sadness with it. Cathy and I love old things: old furniture, old cars, old light fixtures, old houses, old fountain pens, etc. I guess we're intrigued by things that were around long before we were ever born. There's something nostalgic about antiques, something that speaks to times and ways of life long forgotten. As time passes, though, items which were once loved fall into disrepair, and are eventually thrown away or destroyed. I guess that's why Matthew 6:19 says this.

In any case, I hope the old tree will bounce back from its rather severe pruning. I hope it will soon regain its former size and stature. I hope that until then, I'll learn to appreciate its new look. Who knows, maybe the pruning is just what it needed. But deep down, I really wish the City had just left the tree alone.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Megan said...

oh this is sad :(

i hope it grows back bigger than before! :)