Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Peeves

You know what really bugs me?

Well, a lot of things, actually...

Some are serious things, like drug-dealing thugs murdering college class presidents, warlords preventing food shipments from reaching starving children in Africa, and politicians saying what we want to hear but never intending to do any of it.

But this post isn't about those serious things. No, we've had too many serious posts lately.

So, today we'll have a series of mini-rants on some of the little things in life that I can't stand, my "pet peeves". Ready? Here we go.
  • "Fitness water" - Oh my goodness. I can't believe people actually pay money for water, to begin with. (Although we buy it by the crate, like everyone else...) What would your great-grandfather have said if you told him you were going to start a business selling WATER. That's right, he'd tell you you're a dang fool! Maybe I'm just upset that I wasn't the guy that figured out how to market it... And what the heck is with "fitness water" and "flavored water"? To me, it tastes like the Kool-aid your little sister tried to make, but didn't use near enough sugar. Blecch!

  • Grunge music - OK, I'm sure this is a generational thing, but... Why on earth is grunge rock so doggone DEPRESSING! Did all grungers get up on the wrong side of the bed every day of their life? Why would anyone want to listen to such dreary, woe-is-me music? Do we have it that tough, living in modern suburban America? What a bunch of whiners. As my Dad used to say, "I'll give you something to be upset about!" Wow. I feel better now. And yes, I realize that I sound like all old people, giving the standard rant about music that came along after they stopped being young!

  • Bluetooth headsets - These are those little "ear pods" that you see people wearing in public, when it looks like they're talking to an invisible friend. I realize they are convenient for hands-free talking (like when you're in a car), but why must we wear them around all day? Maybe to say, hey look at me, I've got the latest cool cell phone device? True story: I'm in Books-a-Million, looking at the magazine racks, and a guy walks up beside me, also facing the magazine racks. "Hey, how's it goin?" he says. "Good, how 'bout you?" I reply. Except he continues talking into his Bluetooth headset, which I failed to notice. So I feel like an idiot, when in fact the guy with the space-age egg in his ear OUGHT to be the one feeling stupid! (My apologies to Gran...I did NOT knock your Bluetooth headset off on purpose that time when I hugged you. For real.)

  • Self-absorbed people - Do you know people who will talk on and on and on about themselves? (Yes, sort of like I'm doing in this blog...) But I mean people who will walk up to you and start a "conversation", and ten minutes later they're still going strong, and you haven't gotten a word in edgewise. I think these people gravitate toward "nice Christian folks", who generally are too nice to be rude and cut them off. I have two or three of these at my workplace, and two or three more outside of work. A similar personality type is what pastor Steve Keyes calls VNP's: Very Needy People. These folks always have multiple major problems in their lives - health, emotional, etc. They can sap all the energy out of you within five minutes. As Christians, we are certainly called to love the self-absorbed and the VNPs. But that doesn't mean I have to like them! Just kidding, but you know exactly what I mean...

  • Sanjaya - Enough said.

  • Hackers - Now, I realize that 15 year old geeky boys need something to do with their time, but can't they just stick to X-Box? Why do they have to go the extra mile to invent thousands of malicious little computer programs that threaten to ruin my computer? Hackers forced me into buying Norton Anti-virus. And I'm really not sure which is worse: Norton or the viruses. I mean, how many computer viruses would it take to slow my laptop down more than Norton does? Is it just me? Can anyone relate? Anyone?
These are just a few of the many thousands of things that irk me to no end (just ask Cathy, ha!). Somehow, I feel a little bit better now after my little mini-rants. I'll try and go back to being my generally positive self.

Thanks for listening, doc - send me the bill.

No comments: