Sunday, March 22, 2009

Artsy

Well, the long dull days of winter seem to over (finally!)...

Over the last few months, I've been on sort of an artsy kick, experimenting a bit with watercolor painting and lately with flex-nib calligraphy...

Watercolor-wise, I have done four paintings over the last month or so...three for Cathy and one for me! Cathy's paintings are all garden and flower related: a pink rose, a blue hydrangea, and a garden-y cottage:

Last week, I painted something for me - its a closeup of the hood of a 1940's Pontiac, complete with the Indian hood ornament. Painting shiny chrome is very challenging, especially with watercolor, but I think it came out pretty well...

On the calligraphy front, yesterday I bought another old flex-nib fountain pen, an A.A. Waterman. Got a steal on it, only $15. These pens are what people used about 100 years ago, and using them you can get some wonderful calligraphy effects, varying thin and thick lines. Maybe I'll do something that combines the watercolor with the calligraphy... Any ideas?

No comments: