Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Music

My talented and lovely wife Cathy put up a great blog post, about how songs are so amazing at being able to bring back memories, both good and bad...

I liked her post, and thought I'd post a few random ones from my childhood...
  • "Like a Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell - I have a distant memory of being in the car with my Dad at night, coming back from some random shopping trip in the nearby town Fairfax. This song was playing on the AM radio, and I remember Dad humming along, tapping out the snare drum on 2 and 4 with his wedding ring against the steering wheel. Its one of those tiny, warm, happy memories.

  • "Ebony Eyes" by Bob Welch - Another Dad memory. The year is 1976, and one of the big fads that year is beer can collecting. My brother David and I were really into it, and were always trying to figure out how to get cans from other parts of the US, and from other countries. A bar in DC (Brickskeller) boasted having over 500 kinds of beer. So, David and I talked Dad into going into DC and buying a case of beer, with 24 different brands. We drove there on a Saturday, and this song came on the radio. Another good (although sort of bizarre) memory of Dad!

  • "Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Nugent - I remember going on a church youth group event in junior high school (to a roller rink in Sterling VA?) and this playing on the radio. Sort of a big contrast, there, don'tcha think?

  • "Deacon Blues" by Steely Dan - Mid 70s, long car ride in the Green Machine (1971 Ford Ranch Wagon station wagon) to Wisconsin, two adults and 3 kids (no Angela yet), bright sunny day, radio playing. Good times.

  • "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" by Stevie Wonder - This is a great memory. I think I was about 12, and I came down with something and was in the bed for a number of days. Couldn't do much but lay there. My Dad bought me a red Panasonic portable AM radio, just out of the blue, as a gift. It had a little white earphone (one ear only) so I could listen to it at night without bothering my brother, who shared the room. On this little radio, I remember listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 countdown, laying there in my bed. Someone sent out this song as a "special dedication", and for some reason I remember that moment. That little radio was my introduction to pop music, and (part of) the start of a lifelong love of music. Probably my favorite gift anyone has ever given me. :) Still have that radio (see picture).
Anyhow, isn't it amazing how our mind associates songs with events in our lives, no matter how trivial or important?

Like Cathy, I will probably do another post on Christian music which has played a big role in my life...

Ciao!

No comments: