Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snow



Greenville SC is currently under a Winter Storm Warning. Not a Winter Storm Alert, mind you, a Warning.

Buy your milk and bread now!!!

Cathy and I are all huddled up in our cozy living room, hoping it will snow. You see, we don't get a lot of snow here in SC. Cold rain, yes, sleet, yes, freezing rain, yes, ice storms, yes, snow, not so much.

I have some great memories of snowstorms, though.

Here in SC, the memories are few, but sweet. Back in 1993, South Carolina got a freak snowstorm in March, with over a foot of snow! Of course, I took a day of vacation, and the boys and I did the standard snow stuff: snow angels, snowball fights, snowman. In fact, the snowman we built was one of the better ones I can recall -- traditional shape, carrot, rocks for eyes, etc. Unfortunately, our dog at the time (stray Pomeranian mix named Pookie) didn't think as much of the snow man, and hiked his leg on it...

Then, there were a few good snow storms during the years we were at Pliney circle. One time, we had a late-night snowball war. We must have been outside until midnight, lobbing snow bombs over the house and having a general blast in the amber light of the street lamp. I remember Brandon and I hiding in the woods next to the house, waiting until someone (Zach and friend?) walked by, and then ambushing them with armfuls of ice balls. Seems I recall the victims didn't think it was as funny...

Cathy wasn't much for the snowball wars, but did make a mean snow cream! We would gather snow in those stainless steel mixing bowls, and then she would add in sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mmmmmmmm!

As a kid, I grew up in the Washington DC suburbs, where snow was pretty common in the winter. I have a lot of good memories of building igloos & snow fortresses, sledding on my Flexible Flyer with 20+ other neighborhood kids, and watching the snowplow go down our street. Once, I remember walking through 2-foot deep snow with my Dad to the 7-11 to buy milk -- that was a workout!

Why is it that everyone likes snow so much? I suppose the kids like it because it means no school and a day of play. And I suppose the grocery stores like it because bread and milk sales go through the roof. For the rest of us, I guess it brings a little bit of excitement and uncertainty into an otherwise drab winter. And those white, snow-covered days, where no cars are out and about sure are peaceful.

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on freezing rain. But in my heart, I'm hoping and praying for snow!

No comments: