Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

I may have already mentioned this, but...I love Thanksgiving!

Why, you ask? Let me count the ways...
  1. Good times with family. Cathy and I had a great Thanksgiving Day with Bob & Sherry, and Zach & Sarah. Plenty of laughter and memories for later years...

  2. Good food. At the Baker household, we are ham people. Its not that we don't like turkey, its just that...well...a spiral cut honey ham is just hard to beat. Especially with Cathy's Crock Pot mac & cheese, and a good pumpkin pie. (Have mercy, I'm gonna have to heat up some more leftovers soon!)

  3. Good fun. From family games (Michigan Rummy, Scrabble, Cranium) to the Baker holiday tradition (for Brandon, Zach and I) of multiplayer first-person shooter video games (as Cathy says, "Are y'all shooting each other AGAIN?"), I always enjoy the holiday weekends.
But, there is one thing I sort of dread about Thanksgiving, and that is the day AFTER Thanksgiving. Why? Because it usually means getting all the Christmas stuff down from the attic (we have LOTS of Christmas boxes), buying and setting up the "real tree" (lots of sap and needles), and setting up the "fake-O" artificial tree (takes forever). I mean, shouldn't this time be reserved for, say, watching the Hokies perform their yearly stomping of the UVA Wahoos?

Well, for some reason, this year the dreaded day was...well, enjoyable! Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, because my traditional "day-after" whining is not what it used to be. Yesterday, Cathy and I went and bought our real tree at Lowe's, and the cutting and setup actually went well (for once)! And even better, we are going to wait until later this week to put up the fake-O tree. So, this has all added up to a rather relaxing & enjoyable weekend.

I am excited about hanging out with Brandon and Megan tomorrow, who will be stopping by after their visit to Megan's family in Waynesville NC. I hope we can have one of our, shall we say, "memorable" family dinner/game nights... Can anyone say "Dr. Ruth"?

lol

No comments: