Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

All right, it's Thanksgiving Day!

Regardless of our circumstances, we all have a lot to thank God for. I feel particularly blessed this Thanksgiving...God has given me so much, I don't know where to begin.

I am thankful for...
  • A God who "so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." Who created the universe and all its wonders, yet cared for Brian Baker enough to call me to himself, that cold Sunday in January 1991. Who by His grace is willing and able to forgive my ever-increasing mountain of sin (and in fact has already done so!) Amazing.
  • A wife who loves me unconditionally, who puts up with my annoying habits, who serves me in so many little ways that usually go unmentioned. A truly godly Proverbs 31 type woman, who loves God and other people with all her heart. She is my soul mate, my only true love, my best friend, my inspiration and role model. She is truly a gift from God. Cathy, I love you!
  • Two of the finest stepsons a guy could ask for. My boys, by and large, have steered clear of the vices that drag down many a young man, and instead have kept on the narrow path. My boys serve God according to the talents and abilities He has given them, and I couldn't ask for more. They are funny, talented, well-mannered, honest, and hard-working. Guys, I love you too.
  • "My girls", Megan and Sarah. You two are truly answers to my prayer that God would send our boys women who put Him first, who see the "big picture", who serve and love others selflessly. Love you guys...er, gals!
  • A wonderful career at Michelin. I am thankful to work for a conservative company that focuses on long-term success, not short-term gain. I'm also thankful for a great bunch of co-workers that I have the pleasure of working with daily. God has truly provided for me (and my family) through this great job.
  • A great home. I am thankful for a warm, happy home. Every day after work, I look forward to getting home to see Cathy (and Rupert, ha!). Rupert's "Daddy's home!" routine is truly something to behold (just ask Cathy, she'll tell you). These are truly the "good times" that everyone dreams of...I thank God for every day like this that He gives me.
  • A great extended family (Mom, David & Cindy& Russell, Teresa & Mike & McKenzie, Angela & Mike & girls). I only get to see Mom & the sibs once or twice a year, but we always have a blast together. I am thankful for a Mom and Dad who gave me a great childhood, one of laughter, security, and memories. I am also thankful for a supportive and loving bunch of in-laws: Bob & Sherry, Fran & Steve...you all have done so much for Cathy and I over the years!
  • My country, the great US of A. I am thankful to be a citizen of the greatest country in the world, a country that despite its many flaws, is still the best example of freedom, liberty, and democracy in the entire world. I'm thankful for the founding fathers, whose God-given wisdom has given us 200+ years of stability, strength, and prosperity. I'm thankful for the sacrifices made by our servicemen so that we can continue to experience freedom.
  • The gift of music, which God has used to touch my soul in ways that words never could. I am thankful for the musical abilities He has given me, and I intend to use them for His glory. From bluegrass to baroque, rock to reggae, swing to salsa, metal to mariachi -- if it's music, I love it! I am especially thankful for my Christian band-mates (Dave, Benji, Mike), who make "gigging" a blast!
I'm sure there are many more things I'm gonna realize I left out, but these are the biggies. It has been a great year, and I have a LOT to be thankful for.

Remember the story of Jesus healing the ten lepers in Luke 17?
On the way to Jerusalem Jesus was going through the region between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, they called out, saying, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" When he saw them he said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were made clean. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He prostrated himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him. And he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus asked, "Were not ten made clean? But the other nine, where are they? Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" Then he said to him, "Get up and go on your way; your faith has made you well."
Well, I want to be the one guy that takes the time to stop, turn around, and thank God for what He has done for me.

Don't you?

No comments: