Monday, October 15, 2007

Golf


I am blessed to be able to play golf four or five times a week. No, not that golf, DISC golf. You know, what people call "frisbee golf".

Basically, I played a lot of disc golf in high school with my friends. When I came south, there were no disc golf courses around (that I knew of), so I gave up playing for 10 or 15 years. Then one day in the mid-90s, Zach told me that they had put in some disc golf baskets at Simpsonville City Park, a few blocks from our house.

So, I bought a couple discs, and kinda got back into playing, although not really regularly. Zach and I entered a disc golf contest, and Zach won the 12 and under division (the first time he played!). In fact, the kids he beat were the contest organizer's kids, and I think he was ticked. Zach came away with five or six golf discs that day.

Fast forward another ten years, and now I find myself living directly across the street from the City Park! As in, one of the tees is literally 50 ft from my front steps. So, I have been playing quite a bit this summer. This summer, I transitioned from throwing mostly backhanded to driving with a forehanded shot. This has greatly increased my drive distance. I must confess that Zach was my inspiration for learning the forehand -- he plays ultimate for NGU, and has a wicked forehand drive...

My record for the Simpsonville City Park course is a 51 for 18 holes (that's 3 under if you count all holes as par 3s). I'm working on my mid to long distance putts, and honestly have been sinking quite a few of them lately.

Another big highlight is that Cathy has been playing disc golf with me a bit this summer. We went on a disc-buying binge one day, and got her her own discs. She does well with a 149g shark (the light weight suits her and adds distance to her shots). Today we played nine, and it was a beautiful cool night spent with my favorite person on earth (yes, Cathy, that's you!).

Oh well, catch you later!

No comments: