Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Beater



Well, its been a busy few days since I've posted. Here are some highlights...

This weekend, I bought yet another mandolin. Actually, I have a mandolin that a guy at work gave me, free. It is my "beater", the one that doesn't even have a case, and sits by my chair in the living room. Basically, I can grab it and play it anytime, mostly during commercials. Well, anyhow, the top on this beater mandolin has started sinking, and I can't raise the action high enough to stop the strings from buzzing.

So, I ordered (and received, this weekend) a new beater mandolin: Rogue A-style, $49 from MusiciansFriend.com - that's it in the photo. Yes, that's right, $49 new! I have no idea how anyone can make and sell and archtop instrument with binding for $49. Heck, the tuning machines are probably worth $15, and a fret job runs $50 these days! I guess it's made in Chinese sweat shops... The tone is nothing to write home about, but the intonation ain't bad and it seems to stay in tune, so it fits the bill for my next "beater". Nice sunburst, too.

Also this weekend, I went to the Clemson vs. Virginia Tech game Saturday night. I think it was the first college game I'd been to since actually attending Tech in 1988! It was fun, especially since the tickets were free. And who won, you ask? Hokies, of course, 40-24.

I learned a couple things at that game. 1) There are a LOT of rich people giving to IPTAY, and 2) There are a lot of rich people who are really upset that Clemson has a not-so-outstanding football program. Look for Bowden to get the boot soon.

Sunday night, Last Road played at a little Baptist church in Bowersville, GA. Great people, and they were truly appreciative that we came and played. They treated us to a nice dinner afterward, too.

Anyhoo, that's the news. A plus tard.

No comments: